Sunday, April 20, 2008

Random thoughts on a Sunday afternoon

Isn't it amazing how much better a nap is when taken on a Sunday afternoon, than any other day of the week. Maybe it is because your spiritual cup is full (as well as your belly from Sunday dinner) and you are just extra content with life. Curling up on a soft bedspread with a cozy blanket and taking a power-nap... there is nothing quite like it to even compare to!

We went to dinner this weekend with some friends, and since we didn't get dessert at dinner, we decided to stop at ColdStone Creamery in Spanish Fork. As we walked in, Natasha said the funniest thing, "Doesn't it smell like the Celestial Kingdom in here?" When I paused for a moment to ponder the thought, I must admit, if I had to assign the Celestial Kingdom a "smell" ColdStone Creamery would probably fit the bill. So, during my drive to my drive to Salina and back today...I had time to think about what other senses I would assign to the Celestial Kingdom. The only definite sense I have at the moment, is the sound in my Celestial Kingdom. It would be a calm summer night.....there is an alfalfa field with several grazing horses. The only sound other than the crickets and the soft chik-chik of a sprinkler slowly watering the field, is the content horses grazing and occasionally sighing. I have told Ryan many times throughout our career as a married couple how much I truly love this sound.

Now, if my Celestial Kingdom sounds could be rotated like those new, fancy air fresheners that change the scents every half-an-hour, I would also like to add to my selection, the sound of my children laughing with the kind of abandon that only a child is capable of. A full-on, straight from the heart and belly laugh-not a care in the world, just savoring the moment.

Yep, Sunday afternoons beat most anything.....

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! There really is nothing like Sundays. I love that you don't have to worry about anything but being with your family - which is all we should really be worried about anyway. Another celestial smell: My grandma's house - it smells like security, safety, family, and love.

PATTI BOWLES said...

Hi Dear, as your mother, you must know what it means to me to see the spirituality that you have. There is nothing better than to feel that, no other feeling that can compare to the feeling of KNOWING you are in the safety of
God's hands. I love you and I love this site. Your children are such blessings in Dad and my lives.
I'll try to make the kids games tonight. See you there.